HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Homestead happenings


We have been busy the past month. We processed 2 of our roosters for meat. It was much less traumatic than I was anticipating thanks to a friend with a good system and our coop is so peaceful now that the 2 roosters are gone. They were very aggressive and loud. I "chickened" out of killing our older hens. We have decided to let them retire on our little homestead for now. Raccoons have actually taken out a few of the trouble makers so things are good in the coop.


We have some new layers in the coop. I decided to compare the yolks of our new layers with a store bought organic egg. What a difference! I have trained these layers to be good foragers by holding back grain feed during the day. They have access to feed in the coop at night and early morning hours then get sent out to free range during the day. Once they get to laying age they get moved into the larger coop and have more access to grain but are still all over the yard most of the day.


My wonderful husband picked up a new coop for me. It needs a little makeover to give it character but I love the size and functionality! This one is in the front yard and will one day be a cottage garden retreat. For now I just need the chickens to get busy clearing the weeds and grass.

And my favorite scripture for the month:

John 8:36

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.








Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.