HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Friday, May 3, 2013

Eating What We Grow.



I have grown food every year but it has always been minimal.  Now the garden is filling in with an abundance of good food and it has been a bit of a learning curve coming up with different ways to eat the things that are available.


I tend to stick with the simple recipe free staples like roasting.  A little olive oil, sea salt, and a mix of garden veggies in a roasting pan cooked at 425 degrees is always a favorite.


Boiled until slightly tender and topped with fresh herbs is another.


We have lots of Kale growing.  My 2 favorite ways to prepare it is massage it with olive oil, sea salt, and a little lemon juice or I make  a dressing out of this recipe I came up with.
4 teaspoons miso (white)
3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon white rice vinegar
3/4 tablespoon evaporated cane juice

Mix and toss in the kale.  You can add all kinds of other ingredients.  I added roasted garlic and pine nuts.


This is suppose to be a cucumber dill dip. The recipe I followed was awful so I modified it and added lots of hot peppers from the garden.  I love mixing high and low foods.  I removed the seeds from the peppers which left my hands on fire but will hopefully cut out most of the heat.  The peppers I used are Jalapeno, Holy Molly, and Cayenne.  Yikes!


And the most important to our house hold is the salad.  It's what I eat most days and provides something green, healthy, and delicious on the table every night. 

What are you growing and how do you bring it to the table? Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous foods. With my brown thumb if I only ate what I grew, I could easily lose that extra 100 lbs......grin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.