HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Monday, December 9, 2013

From the garden to the table.

We are back in a season of having food to harvest from the garden daily. This is what makes gardening so addictive for me and keeps me moving along in our plan to turn our 150' by 60' front yard into a completely edible landscape. The more food we harvest and eat the more food I want to plant. Snacks like roasted radish disappear as busy hands walk by and grab a few as a snack leaving me back in the garden planting hundreds of seeds so we can have these delicious snacks everyday!

Sweet potato rings, fresh eggs, grapefruit, and orange juice. A common breakfast this time of year.

 


These are luffa gourds.


The garden is still in the early stages of soil fertility but the food is growing. I use an all wood chip covered garden plan and work in chicken compost, worm compost, and follow the permaculture idea of chop and drop to increase soil fertility. I'm not sure if it's the best method and I know there is debate on wood chips but we grow food, alot of food considering I started this garden just a year ago and don't water or use any synthetic fertilizer or pesticides.

green beans, oregano, peppers, eggplant, romaine lettuce, icicle radish, cabbage.
Oregano and green beans.
Broccoli, collard greens, lemon grass, and tea roses.
Luffa gourd ready to harvest.
butterfly plant covered in aphids keeping the aphids from harming food.

Super sized navel oranges.

It's hard to tell the oranges from grapefruit.

Cooking is not my favorite activity so the things I create with our food are simply no recipe meals but they are still delicious!

Roasted radish; cut radish and oregano, coat with olive oil, cook 425 until lightly brown.
Cow peas cooked in with quinoa.

quinoa with herbs, parsley, onion, tomato, and broccoli.  A garden medley.

Roasted peppers, potatoes, and sausage.

Happy gardening!


Job 12:8 Or speak to the earth, and it will teach you;
And the fish of the sea will explain to you
. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.