Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trash to Treasure

A couple of weeks ago on my way out of the neighborhood I found this vintage baby doll highchair in my neighbors trash.  I feel in love!  I thought this would make the perfect Christmas gift for Madeline. 




Sorry I can't show you a photo of the whole chair.  Blogger is having vertical photo issues.  It had lots of damage.






But this is what it looks like now!




It was a labor of love!  I thought it would just be a quick paint job.  I was so wrong.  This thing has layers and layers of paint, mod podge, and glaze.  

The decals on the back were given to me by a good friend.  She bought them on e-bay.  They were so easy to use.  You just put them in warm water for a few seconds and when they peel off the protective paper you press them on.  If you love vintage you will definitely want to go check out her site here !  Even if you don't she's an amazing collage artist with lots of great ideas.  She just recently finished a play kitchen that is Sooo cute!  






I repaired the tray using decoupage.  I tried wood fill and it wouldn't smooth out so I ended up putting down mod podge, a sheet of scrap book paper, more mod podge, and then painted several layers to cover up the paper.  It worked better than I thought.  It's perfectly smooth and you can't tell there was ever paper added. 




The last thing I did was make the cushion.  My favorite part!  It took 10 minutes and I really love how it turned out!  I wanted the fabric to match the vintage look of the highchair so I tea stained it first.  You might want to search for a tutorial if you want to try this.  I'm sure there is a much more professional way than mine but I just put 4 tea bags in the microwave for 4 minutes with 4 cups of water.  When it was done I added the fabric and went and took a shower.  Maybe 20 minutes.  I took it out when I was done and threw it in the dryer.  You can see that some of it is stained darker than others.  I actually like that for this particular project.  




I made the pattern by tracing the seat.  For the cushion I cut 6 pattern pieces of quilt batting and basted them together. 






I used chenille for the back.







It fit snugly in the seat so I decided not to worry about adding ties.  What do you think?  Was it worth rescuing?




Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Gosh Steffanie this is so lovely...everything; the fabric the colour, the decals... you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was well worth the rescue! Very adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely!
    I was shocked to see those vintage decals - I had the very same ones on my crib when I was a baby (I am now 35).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!! What a wonderful job restoring it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Cute. This will be something your daughter cherises forever. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very shabby chic! Totally worth saving it from the trash heap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad to finally see your blog- it's amazing :)
    I swear I put those very same decals on my baby crib in 1976!!
    (That would be Justin - Stacey's hubby's crib) LOL !!
    I had Raggedy Ann & Andy curtains & dolls- which turned out perfect for my 2 redhead babies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.