HOME ABOUT ME PATTERNS/TUTORIALS FEATURED CONTACT ME

Friday, March 18, 2011

Anna Maria Horner Sunsuit

So I finally finished the sewing project I gave you a glimpse of on my last post.  It's a sunsuit for the baby girl and I love how it turned out.  It's so sweet and super easy to create!  Rae, over at made by rae, posted this sunsuit tutorial shortly after Madeline was born and I have been dying to make it ever since! 











I used Square Dance Voile fabric by Anna Maria Horner.  It is a super light super soft fabric that reminds me of silk but without the hassle.  It's so beautiful in person and perfect for hot summers! 




I mixed the voile with a Jersey double stretch knit on top and added fabric covered buttons on the back.  The best thing about these sunsuits is when they get to small you can cut off the bottom and uncross the straps to make a top that will fit well into the toddler years.  I also used some scraps to make a headband.  My girl has got crazy hair these days and needs the extra help right now;)








If you are unfamiliar with shirring, which is how the top of this sunsuit is made, here is a quick description on how I do it.  You can read more detailed shirring tutorials over at craft stylish and pretty ditty .

I sew my garment together first then load my bobbin with elastic thread by hand without adding tension.  Next I increase my thread width a little, and starting at the side seam sew 1/2" rows using a straight stitch.  I back stitch a few extra stitches than I normally would when I start and finish and this holds the elastic in place really well.  The more rows you sew the smaller the garment will get.  It's important that you stretch the fabric as you sew each row other wise you will end up with pleats instead of shirring.






Stretch fabric while sewing.





Before stretching shirring out. 


Stretch fabric while sewing.




Inside view.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. So cute! I'm planning on using elastic thread for a project next week, so thanks for the info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I need to get brave enough to try shirring, you make it look so easy. I love that fabric! it is sooo pretty in person! Thank you again for the beautiful clutch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that just the cutest outfit? I'm missing having a baby girl to sew for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! It so great to hear from you and it is what keeps me motivated to create.